Medical Billing and Coding Salary in Mississippi

Medical Billing and Coding Schools in Mississippi

  • 2,000 Number of Medical Billing and Coding Employees in Mississippi
  • $27,580 Average Medical Billing and Coding Salary in Mississippi
  • $42,520 90th Percentile Salary
  • $16,970 10th Percentile Salary

Salary Averages in East South Central Region

The growth of Mississippi’s economy is projected to be slow, with a 70% probability of positive growth that leaves a 30% probability of recession, according to Mississippi Institutions of Higher Learning. The industries projected to experience at least a 1% average annual growth from 2012 to 2017 include construction, business and professional services, health and social assistance, and trade. Health and social assistance is projected to experience the third highest annual growth rate at 2.5% over the next five years. This is good news for those who want to enter the medical billing and coding profession, as it could improve their chances of obtaining employment. In addition, the state enacted the Mississippi Health Care Industry Zone Act in April 2012, which is purposed to expand and create new jobs in the healthcare industry.

More positive projections come out of Georgetown University’s Center on Education and the Workforce Healthcare State Report study published in June 2012. According to this study, healthcare and social assistance employment in the state of Mississippi is projected to increase 30% by 2020, compared to 19% for all other state jobs. This results in 54,280 job openings between 2010 and 2020, with healthcare professional and technical occupations experiencing 36,100 job openings and leaving healthcare support occupations with 18,180 job openings. While projections look good, current employment conditions are not so bad either.

Along with completing an online medical billing and coding program, many medical billers and coders demonstrate their expertise through professional certification. The American Academy of Professional Coders, which is the largest association for medical coding training and certification in the U.S., offers certifications for professionals in the medical records and information field. These types of certifications include: Certified Professional Coder, Certified Professional Coder – Outpatient Hospital, Certified Professional Coder – Payer, Certified Interventional Radiology Cardiovascular Coder, and Specialty certifications. In order to receive one of these certifications, one must pass an examination and fulfill requirements regarding education, work experience, and association membership. Many people choose to do this after obtaining some experience, although some online medical billing and coding programs may help prepare them for the certification and even allow them to sit for an exam during the program.