Is Medical Billing and Coding a Career Where I Can Work from Home?
Question: (From Carol) What if I travel south in the winter? Can I still do the job? Is this a job where I can send the billing I’ve completed via online?
Thank you for your question on remote coding.
I would like to say that remote coding offers a key component for many people like myself, which is flexibility in work hours. In order to work remotely, you must have access to Wi-Fi and high-speed Internet whenever you will be working. You literally can travel and still work remotely (sitting on a beach in Fiji comes to mind), but remote access typically requires access via a secure connection for HIPAA compliance. Remote medical coding is utilized by many large employers, and each will have their own requirements for HIPAA privacy and security.
Medical coding is one of the easiest careers to work remotely from, as long as you work with a reputable company. You can work either as an independent contractor or as an employee — this will be determined in advance by the employer.
Remote medical billers and coders are primarily tasked with translating a provider’s medical record that indicates patient encounters into diagnosis and procedure codes to be submitted to various payers. Billers and coders will need access to the medical records to obtain information required to support billing and coding of a patient encounter accurately for reimbursement.
Remote medical billing and coding as a career can be done as a contract job, part-time job, full-time job, and also per diem.
FEATURED ONLINE MEDICAL CODING PROGRAMS
Advantages of Remote Work
- Availability to work from home or other remote site. You can be on vacation and still work remotely if necessary.
- Flexible schedules
- No commuting costs so gas and car maintenance are eliminated
- More personal and family time
- No professional work wardrobe required, which can save you money
- Improves productivity as it allows autonomy
- Less stressful, as there is no micromanaging
Some Perceived “Downsides”
- Less interaction with others
- Must be careful with patient info (HIPAA compliant)
In order to be truly successful at any remote billing and/or coding position, one must always ensure that they adhere to the “Golden Rules of Remote Work:”
- Be results oriented
- Maintain self-discipline
- Get up the same time daily and get dressed as if you had to leave the house (unless you’re sick)
- Must be an independent worker and able to time manage accordingly
- Stay organized!
- Have a separate home office from the rest of your home
When I became a CPC, it was one of the best career moves I have made. Starting my own company and working remotely has completely and positively agreed with my lifestyle. It may not be for everyone, but for me and many of my colleagues, including those I employ, remote coding is a viable and productive way to work in the medical billing and coding industry.
Maxim is one of the giants that offers many remote coding jobs. Click here and you will be directed straight to their remote job board.